Sunday, August 11, 2013

Design Process


At present, technology had bring more and more talented artist in creating amazing digitally manipulated images and illustrating anything you could possibly imagine. Somehow, I believe the pencil and paper are the genuine and compulsory materials in creating works of art, which is what I'm going to show here today.

Instructions - The Materials You Need


  • 2B pencil, mechanical pencil
  • Papers, a sketch book
  • An eraser
  • A paper blender, or my fingers

Step 1.
Look at the image while taking your lightest value pencil and slowly start to sketch its outline. Once finished, draw a vertical line in the middle to divide the face to half. Then, draw a horizontal line as shown which will be the eyes lower line or as a reference line.

Step 2.
Start outlining the shape of the face and draw the eyes.

Step 3.
Draw a rough sketch for the nose and adjust until the shape you want it.
Step 4.
Look intently at the values in the colour of the object, the shadow and the highlighted areas, start shading at the lightest areas.
Step 5.
I had lightly shaded the nose with 2B pencil and gradually get darker until the object is completely coloured in. Then draw the mouth.
Step 6.
 I had blended the shaded areas using my fingers and start from the lightest areas. Gently shade in all of the object colour until the colours blend together as one.



Step 7.
After i completely drew out the portrait, I added some sharp and dark colour at the hair part using mechanical pencil just to make the picture look more real.

Step 8.
To make the object realistic looking, have to add depth into it.


More examples of self-portrait sketches that I had drawn.







As you can see, every sketches that I drawn contained feelings and emotions without idealization or imagination. This is also the reason why I choose realism as my art movement because I enjoy the most natural view without editing the paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment